- 1 box white cake mix
- 8 oz. margarita mix
- 2 oz. tequila
- 1 oz. Grand Marnier
- 3 egg whites
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp grated lime zest
Lime Buttercream Frosting
- 8 Tbsp butter, softened
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 2 Tbsp lime juice (aprox. 2 fresh limes)
- 1 Tbsp margarita mix
- 1 tsp grated lime zest
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- fresh limes for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 and prepare muffin pans
- Combine margarita mix, tequila, and Grand Marnier in a large glass and stir well.
- In a large bowl (I use my Kitchen-Aid), combine cake mix, egg whites, lime zest, vegetable oil, and margarita mixture from step one. Stir together, then beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for aprox. 2-3 minutes.
- Spoon the batter into prepared muffin pans. Fill each cup/liner about 2/3 full. ( I personally, use the Saucy Method with an ice cream scoop!)
- Bake at recommended temperature on cake mix box (usually 325-350) for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. (For my oven it only takes 18 minutes.)
- In a large bowl, combine butter, cream cheese, lime juice, margarita mix, and lime zest. Beat with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add powdered sugar, one cup at a time and continue beating until smooth. If icing is too thin you can add more powdered sugar one tablespoon at a time.
- Spread icing generously on each cupcake or use a pastry bag to frost. Garnish with lime wedges.
- Now, go sit on a patio some where with some girlfriends and enjoy these cupcakes, cause everyone knows that is the best way to enjoy a margarita!!